Today was great. I doubled my enrollments in Mwakwila village, increasing the total from 24 to 48 children enrolled in the study. We saw about 90 moms in about 2.5 hours. It was really incredible. In Malawi, it is very common for women to sing songs about just about anything. It is almost like watching a Broadway show (like Grease) when all the characters just all of a sudden burst into song and all seem to know the words. Our nurses will just say, "amai, imbira pamodzi nyimbo" ("Moms, let us sing along") and the words are "Chiponde ndi mankwhala" meaning "Chiponde (peanut butter) is medicine!" They sing it over and over in a tune that everyone knows, and they clap and dance. It's great. So, I've at least learned the song, even if my Chichewa is pretty poor. We had representatives from the Clinton Foundation visiting with us today, and I think they really enjoyed watching a clinic in full swing. It gets pretty hectic, but we have 2 nurses, 8 health assistants, 1 food distributor, and me...so its a big team!
After the clinic, Rosemary (one of the nurses) and I went to look for one mom who we have been helping out a little extra. She has 7 children, and she and the last born are HIV+. She walks about 7 miles every two weeks to come to our clinic for her daughter. Last time I saw her, she was still doing well, but we didn't find her at the clinic today. We learneds she had been admitted and was in poor condition. So we went to visit her at her room, and to bring her some things we collected this week (flour, sugar, and some soap). I guess I've never really seen someone actually dying of AIDS. I've met so many HIV+ women and children, and I see orphans whose parents have passed way from AIDS, but seeing someone I knew dying is really difficult to deal with. I told her that we better see her in two weeks...but she pointed to the sky and told me it will be G-ds choice. It was really hard to keep it together in the room with her. These are the people that make you want to be there to help, but it's so hard. I better toughen up.
Well, there is always more to tell, but I'll call it quits for today. Me and Ella (my kitten) need to get back to work for tomorrow.
-dkm
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dearest Danielle,
I am so enjoying all that you have posted, and marvel at what you are contributing at such a young age to this world. I don't know if your Uncky ever told you, but I grew up Buddhist...it is a very interesting religion...different from those of the normal US....anyway...just a quick note to let you know that you are thought of often, and hope that you are safe and happy. Love, Auntie Carol
Post a Comment