Monday, August 20, 2007

Remember when you celebrated day 100 in elementary school?

So it is almost time to celebrate 100 children enrolled in my study! I'm thinking 100 tambalas (= 1 Kwacha = $0.007) since it may be hard to find 100 pieces of Trident Spearmint Gum or 100 pieces of macaroni...

Today, I opened a third site at a village called Chamba and we probably screened more than 90 children in about 2 hours. We are all getting this down to a science from teaching the village health assistants, to setting up the most effective "patient flow" model in the field. I just wish there was a way to get from here to there without having to leave at 4:45am...and that is before the rains are here! I hope the cars hold up, it's always great to make it out and back without a visit from a mechanic or the help of some boys along the road.

Anyway, the day to day stuff is going well too. There are always lots of logistical issues to deal with, but those are boring details of research...and adjusting to the concept of "African time."

For now, I should work on secondaries for med school applications, watch an episode of House, read some "Unbearable Lightness of Being," and get to bed. Another early morning awaits.

-dkm

1 comment:

An said...

I was talking to an undergrad today in lab who's trying to figure out what he wants to do after he graduates and I told him about your peanut butter project and now he's totally thinking about going to Africa! You're inspiring.