It seems perfectly fitting that on my second to last morning in Malawi, regardless that this is a Sunday, I should wake at the ever famous 4:30 am hour. The morning has changed a bit since the far off days of heavy rains and muddy roads - I find myself now clutching a hot cup of coffee to warm my fingers and fight off the chill of this African winter morning. I am somehow comforted by the incessant honking of the minibuses (even at this hour!) that I am hearing now for one of the last times. The nostalgia is hitting now, my last night sleeping in under the protection of my bright blue mosquito net, the last time I'll shop in Blantyre market, the last time I have to say no when a vendor tries to convince me that, "looking is free madam. Just look. Nice things, cheap prices. Looking is free." Here I am, pressed up against the window to keep my internet signal, already missing my African mornings. I have one (maybe two) runs remaining to feel like a celebrity ("azungu! azungu!" I run with you!"), one night to cook a big dinner with my friends, and one last day to drive past the curio market and hear, "Daniel, Daniel!" from every vendor. I suppose I'll have some serious adjustments to make as I re-acclimate to American culture- I'll have to start thinking in dollars and not kwacha, and I'll probably have my work cut out for me to catch up with the current fashion styles. Somehow, I don't think chitenjes came into fashion in the US while I was gone...
I wrote an entry a few days ago and intended to post it, but never managed to load it. It had a political flair to it, though I am certainly no one to make any insightful political comments. However, I must share the funny part of that post. As I have probably mentioned in previous posts, Kathleen is also wrapping up her days here in Malawi. She has been working hard to get all 1,350 interviews translated from Chichewa to English so that she can do some serious data analysis when she gets back home. She has had three people helping her with the translations, and she has been furiously typing their handwritten transcripts into word documents. In doing so, she has come across some really funny responses from her interviewees:
Q: Do you support any political party and if so why?
A: "No. I support nsima and G-d." (recall that nsima is the staple food here, made of corn flour and water only).
Absolutely perfect answer.
Dr. Manary and his son arrived yesterday, and another medical student, Meg came a few days before. The house is filling up, and I'm sure it will be nice when I get all my stuff packed up and out of the house. I know saying goodbye will be really difficult, but I know it will only be temporary before I come back to this neck of the woods. I will probably write one final entry, maybe my last in Malawi or maybe from home...I'm going to miss the blog!
-dkm
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Danielle -
You look so happy in your facebook picture, I had to come back and read all the posts since last time I was here. You write so well, it's a pleasure to read! Sorry you gotta go, but like you said i'm sure you'll be back since you love it so much.
Post a Comment