Several days have passed again since I last updated this blog. The study is really coming along, with nearly 300 children enrolled in the program and many having already graduated (meaning they fully recovered). We have grown as team to now include 3 nurses, a driver, myself and nearly 35 community health workers spread out all over the Southern region of Malawi. These health workers have been a tremendous help to our project, and as the study grows, so does their enthusiasm. The rainy season (hungry season) is just around the corner, so having a dedicated team will become more and more important. I am hoping to complete enrollments by March, and spend the remaining part of my time in Malawi rolling out an operational moderate malnutrition treatment protocol.
My days are still very long, and Saturdays have been come my day to catch up on sleep. Ella is an adorable kitten, and just about to go to the vet for the first time. I also made friends with some children from the orphanage that is next to my house, and one girl named Tiwonga has promised to teach me some Chichewa on Thursdays when I am not in the field. The children like to come and play soccer with me in the afternoons after I get home from work.
Nothing too much new to add. Of course African moments pop up here and there (a man standing completely naked in the middle of a very busy market this morning, car breakdowns, spontaneous car purchasing by Dr. M, fishing through a huge freezer for stool and urine samples at the hospital...) but generally, all is well and getting more routine. And, being that it will soon be 4pm, it is time for my run - circles in the backyard are really something to look forward to...
Hope everything is well at home. Send some emails :)
-dkm
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Danielle!
I recently saw a tv program that was talking about feeding kids in africa, specifically, in Niger, this peanutty mix of nutrients and it made me think of you. It was the world health organization or something. Anyhow, I'm happy to read that things are going well. When do you come back to the states? and I'd love to see some photos of your time there if you ever get the chance to take any.
best,
An
Post a Comment