Mpira is football - soccer - and today I had a fun afternoon playing with the boys who live around my house. They are between 7 and 13 years old and we had a blast. It started with them asking to race me across the yard when they saw me running my laps as I do each day...and that 13 year old boy (Johann) is SO fast. The first go at the race I thought, I wouldn't run to hard (I also didn't know how old he was). He smoked me. So I tried much harder the second race, and only barely stayed ahead of him. After the third race, we played football with a ball they made from crumpled up plastic bags and rubber bands. It was 2 on 2, and my team won (me and Antony, 7). Anyway, it was a nice way to finish up a long week of work and med school applications. They speak a little English and always love teaching me new words (mpira today!). I had a great time playing with them, and gave them all sodas for being great teammates :) Very cute!
This week will be very exciting because we are opening three new centers. Check back later this week for research updates!
Anyway, its after 11:45pm and I am totally pooped. The past two days we have had a visitor from Italy who is interested in manufacturing and using chiponde as therapy in Zambia. I'm ready for a nice sleep...if only I didnt have this cold...
Saturday, September 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment